Bring your challenging cases and questions to our on-line learning and discussion forums!
Led by Doctoral Clinic Supervisor and Instructor Anthony Von der Muhll, L.Ac., DAOM, DNBAO, FAIPM
- Get expert help with complex and difficult orthopedic, sports medicine, and pain management cases
- Sharpen your skills in orthopedic history-taking, physical exam, diagnosis, treatment, and documentation
- Discuss options and receive feedback regarding medical documentation and report-writing, practice- and referral-building, and risk management
- Peer-to-peer education and networking: share your knowledge and experience with and learn from, other acupuncturists
How Does it Work?
When the first COVID Shelter-in-Place orders were issued in March, 2020, a DAOM program where I was serving as an Clinic Supervisor was faced with a problem now familiar to us all: how to continue delivering quality educational and training of hands-on material via on-line meetings? We soon found an unanticipated benefit: by switching from passive observation of instructor demonstration to active discussion of students' cases from their own clinics, participants found they gained at least as much if not more from the experience--so much so, that many asked the school to continue the case study and mentorship format, even after the clinic re-opened for in-person observation! This experience has been the inspiration and model to add on-line Case Study and Clinical Mentorship meetings as a valuable complement to the Certification program's classes and labs. Here's how they will work:
- Each meeting is capped at 15 participants to ensure high-quality, in-depth educational experience
- The instructor leads peer review, discussion, and advice regarding approximately 6 cases per 3-hour Zoom meeting (30 minutes/case)
- You may record the discussion on your own device for your own future review
- 7 x 3-hour meetings (21 hours) are required for Certification in Acupuncture Orthopedics
- (Please note: we are planning to apply for PDAs only for these meetings, but not CAB CEUs)
4 Levels and Focuses of Discussion
All meetings are regarding orthopedic, sports, work-related, and chronic neuro-musculoskeletal pain, injuries and disabilities.
- Open to all practicing acupuncturists, regardless of background or experience (students may apply by furnishing evidence of enrollment in an accredited 4+-year degree-granting program in acupuncture)
- 6 participants will be invited or chosen at random to present and discuss their cases verbally
- No written reports required, but please be prepared to present cases organized in SOAP format (Subjective, Objective, Assessment, Plan), along with your priority questions
- For licensed/certified acupuncturists specializing in orthopedic, sports medicine, work-related injuries, and/or chronic pain conditions
- To have your case reviewed, it must be uploaded in SOAP format in advance, along with your case questions and any take-aways
- The first 3 cases uploaded will be discussed--sign up early to get your case reviewed! 3 additional cases will be chosen at random.
- Open only to acupuncturists who have taken at least one class from the following categories through AOM Professional:
- 3 cases (1 hour per case) will be chosen by the instructor based on their urgency, complexity, instructional value, and the clarity of the written report
- Cases reports must be written in SOAP format and uploaded in advance, along with your case questions and take-aways
- If applying for Certification in Acupuncture Orthopedics, you will need to present one orthopedic case study that meets STRICTA standards in both written and verbal format during one of Expert meetings
Documentation, Practice and Risk Management
- Open to all practicing acupuncturists; focus on medical documentation, report-writing, practice and referral-building, professional ethics, and risk management in the orthopedic, sports and pain management practice
- 6 participants will be invited or chosen at random to present and discuss their cases or questions verbally
- No written reports required, but please be prepared to present any cases in SOAP format (Subjective, Objective, Assessment, Plan), along with your priority questions
- (Participation in one Documentation, Practice and Risk Management meeting is required for those seeking Certification and who took the distance-learning versions of Medical Documentation: Essential Best Practices and/or Report-Writing for Managed Care).
We are planning to launch the Case Study and Clinical Mentorship program beginning in 2023. The initial schedule is anticipated to be approximately 1 meeting/month from each category, with possible increase in frequency depending on demand, and upon recruitment of additional qualified faculty.
- General: Check back for next date
- Specialist: Check back for next date
- Expert: Check back for next date
- Documentation: Check back for next date