has been added to your cart!
First time user? Your account will be automatically be created after purchase. Please note:
--Webinars require continuous attendance on the date(s) offered to receive PDAs/CEUs. If you cannot attend, please consider a self-paced distance-learning version instead, if available, or another class that you will be able to attend.
--Ebooks are included with class purchase--please do not purchase both. When purchased separately, Ebooks are for informational purposes only--no PDAs/CEUs.
Questions? Please visit our FAQ page. Thank you for your purchase!
Chart your path to success in acupuncture orthopedics, sports and physical medicine, and pain management! If you are considering specialization in this rapidly-growing arena, or Certification in Acupuncture Orthopedics through AOM Professional, or advanced studies in orthopedics anywhere, this class is a great place to start! Gain an overview of ways to build the essential knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as immediately-applicable take-home strategies and techniques.
Overview of Orthopedic Pain and Disability
- Pain as a subjective perception of past, current or potential tissue damage
- Integrating Eastern and Western understandings of pain and disability
- Chronic pain mechanisms and the degenerative cascade
- The jingjin (“sinew meridians” or myofascial tracts) and progression of bi syndromes in Traditional East Asian medicine
- Challenges, standards and goals: paradigm shift from passive pain relief to pro-active functional restoration
Building Clinical Skills in Acupuncture Orthopedics
- Taking effective histories of orthopedic conditions
- Integrating Easter and Western orthopedic physical exam
- Integrative orthopedic pattern recognition, diagnosis, and functional capacity evaluation
- Case management and treatment planning for orthopedic conditions
- Selecting, combining, and sequencing AOM modalities for optimal therapeutic responses, including:
- Myofascial trigger point acupuncture
- Myofascial gua sha
- Advanced cupping for orthopedics: passive mobilization, active movement, and "wet" cupping
- Lancet, 3-edged and 7-star needling
- Joint stabilization/mobilization ("prolo-") acupuncture
- Making distant needling work for orthopedic conditions
Enhancing Abilities to Work in Orthopedics, Sports and Physical Medicine, and Pain Management Clinics
- Medical documentation & report-writing for managed care (HMO, Personal Injury & Work Comp)
- Making and building effective referrals and collaborative relationships
Resources for further education and training
- Texts, online resources
- Tools and equipment
- Volunteer work and apprenticeships
- Educational coursework
- Effective study methods