is a highly-experienced clinician and an enthusiastic and skilled instructor in acupuncture orthopedics and sports medicine who genuinely enjoys providing long-term mentorship and support for acupuncturists to achieve their professional goals. He is one of the only US acupuncturists who teaches joint stabilization/mobilization needling, is certified in myofascial trigger point needling, and integrates these modern acupuncture methods with classical treatment of the jing-jin ("sinew meridians" or myofascial tracts).
Anthony Von der Muhll is the founder of AOM Professional, and has taught Certification in Acupuncture Orthopedics since 2015, and served as a clinical supervisor at the Masters level since 2005 and the Doctorate level since 2017. He has also taught acupuncture orthopedics and pain management in doctorate programs of the Academy of Chinese Culture and Health Sciences (Oakland CA), the American College of TCM (San Francisco, CA), the Five Branches University of TCM (Santa Cruz, CA), and the Virginia University of Integrative Medicine (Fairfax, VA). He has been a featured instructor in acupuncture orthopedics at conferences of the Sports Acupuncture Alliance, the PSOAS Symposium, and State acupuncture associations of California, Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia.
Anthony Von der Muhll is one of the only acupuncturists in the US with extensive experience serving as an expert witness for the California Acupuncture Board and in civil malpractice litigation. He emphasizes the highest standards of safety, ethics and sustainability in his classes.
Anthony Von der Muhll started his journey as an injured soccer player who found relief from taiji/qigong, massage, and acupuncture. He worked as a massage therapist, physical therapy and athletic training assistant until he graduated from the Five Branches University of TCM in 2002, and founded the Santa Cruz Acupuncture Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Clinic in 2003. In 2022, Anthony relocated to Charlottesville, Virginia, where he now practices at the Sports Acupuncture Clinic/Berkeley Bamboo Clinic with his wife, Tamara Brown, L.Ac., DACM. His education, training and clinical experience includes:
- Clinical practice since 2003 as a licensed acupuncturist, and since 1998 as a sports massage therapist, physical therapy aide, and athletic training assistant.
- Clinical practice multi-disciplinary integrative medicine clinics, including SpineMed Associates and the PRIME Pain Medicine Institute.
- California Acupuncture License 9132 (2003)
- Masters in Traditional Chinese Medicine (2002), and first graduate of Five Branches University of TCM's Integrative Sports Medicine program (2003)
- Doctorate in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (Orthopedics and Pain Management specialization), Academy of Chinese Culture and Health Sciences (2021)
- Clinical Supervisor and Associate Professor at Five Branches University of TCM (2005-20, MTCM and DACM programs)
- Doctoral Clinical Supervisor, Academic Instructor, and Academic Standards Committee, Academy of Chinese Culture and Health Sciences (since 2017)
- Doctoral Instructor at the American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine (2019-2020)
- Doctoral Instructor at Virginia University of Integrative Medicine (2020)
- Certificates in Sports Massage and Acupressure (1998)
- Diplomate of the National Board of Acupuncture Orthopedics (2006)
- Certified Personal Trainer through the American College of Sports Medicine (2006)
- Fellow of the Academy of Integrative Pain Management (2014)
- Certified Myofascial Trigger Point Therapist (trigger point needling), Myopain Seminars (2017)
- Subject Matter Expert for the California Acupuncture Board
- Expert Witness in civil malpractice litigation and complaints to regulatory boards and insurers.
- Featured speaker at conferences of the Sports Acupuncture Alliance, the PSOAS Symposium, and State Acupuncture Associations of California, Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia
Anthony Von der Muhll, L.Ac., is an approved instructor for the NCCAOM (Provider #9155) and the California Acupuncture Board (Provider #1225).
Guest Instructors are announced as they are confirmed for special topics.