Level I Certification:
Integrative Acupuncture Physical Medicine
Evaluation, Diagnosis and Treatment
136 Continuing Education Hours
(Category 1, approved by California Acupuncture Board)
Evaluation and Diagnosis of the Spine and Extremities
Upon completion of classes, participants will be able to:
- Know and describe functional/clinical anatomy, patho-anatomy and patho-physiology and relationships to TCM jing-luo theory for common and significant neuro-musculo-skeletal pain and injury conditions of the spine and extremities.
- Know and describe etiology, risk factors, pathology, natural history, and prognosis of neuro-musculo-skeletal injuries and pain conditions of the spine and extremities in AOM and standard medical terms.
- Take complete histories of neuro-musculo-skeletal injuries and pain of the spine and extremities, including subjective assessments of functional capacities.
- Perform a physical examination and record baseline measurements of functional status for neuro-musculo-skeletal injuries and pain complaints of the spine and extremities, including:
- Joint range-of-motion, tracking and stability
- Muscle strength
- Sensory function
- Posture, gait, and movement abnormalities
- Functional capacity deficits
- Special orthopedic and neurological tests
- Diagnose common and significant injuries and pain conditions of the spine and extremities in standard medical (ICD-9) and AOM-specific pattern identification terms.
Treatment of the Spine and Extremities
Upon completion of the program, participants will be able to:
- Know and be able to discuss evidence basis for treatment of common, complex, and significant neuro-musculo-skeletal pain and injuries of the spine and extremities with acupuncture and oriental medical modalities.
- Develop management and treatment plans for injuries and pain of the spine and extremities.
- Provide integrative acupuncture physical medicine treatment, including neuro-anatomical acupuncture (“dry/trigger point/prolo-”) needling, electro-acupuncture, tui na and gua sha, and other manual therapies, suction cupping, and heat/cold for neuro-musculo-skeletal pain and injuries of the spine and extremities.
- Prescribe and instruct exercises for rehabilitation and injury/disease prevention, including core strength/stability, flexibility, coordination and balance, cardiovascular health, and stress reduction
- Provide written and oral reports regarding patient functional capacities, status and progress for neuro-musculo-skeletal pain and injuries of the spine and extremities.