Conditions addressed include:
- Neural hyper-sensitization and sympathetically-maintained pain.
- Phantom limb pain.
- Complex regional pain syndrome: reflex sympathetic dystrophy, causalgia, and Sudeck’s atrophy.
- Myofascial pain syndrome.
- Fibromyalgia syndrome.
- Primary headaches (migraine, tension-type).
- Post-herpectic neuralgia.
- Chronic pain syndrome, including co-morbid sleep and mood disorders.
Patho-physiology and -Psychology.
- Integration of contemporary understandings of complex and chronic pain with traditional AOMjing-luo, zang-fu, and wu xing patterns and pathomechanisms.
- Mind-body relationships in complex and chronic pain: moving from mal-adaptation to health.
- How understanding complex pain mechanisms can help with treating pain generally.
Assessment and Diagnosis
- Taking histories: key questions and techniques.
- Physical exam: integrating orthopedic, neurologic, vascular, rheumatologic, and psychologic examination.
- Diagnosis in standard medical (ICD-10) and AOM-specific jing-luo, zang-fu, and wu xing pattern identification terms.
- Neuro-anatomical acupuncture.
- Myofascial trigger point needling.
- Scalp, ear and electro-acupuncture.
- Non-insertion electro-therapy.
- Active suction cupping.
- tui na gua sha,
- Patient education and counseling,
- Herbs, nutritional supplements, and dietetics for chronic neuropathic pain.
- Exercise therapies, including mirror box therapy, and more.
16 Category 1 CEUs approved by California Acupuncture Board
Student Ratings and Comments
from evaluations as required by California Acupuncture Board
Respondents: 10 of 10 enrolled
Average rating: 97/100
- “I found this class very interesting and helpful. So many of my patients are in chronic pain, and I have been fumbling to know how to communicate with them in a productive way.” – Dev’a Laggner, L.Ac.
- “Guest speakers are great!…This could definitely be a 2-day class.” – Jennifer Root, L.Ac.
- “Maybe more info on how to manage our own and patients’ expectation of pain reduction/reversal.” – Rose Mulhearn, L.Ac.
- “Nice to break up the didactic with cranial nerve exam.” - Anonymous, L.Ac.
- “Thank you!” –Anonymous, L.Ac.
- “I’d love to see this class going in-depth for treatment protocols including acupuncture, herbs, diet for these conditions. More advanced protocols and evaluation of patterns from a more advanced perspective than the Masters’... Nice having local physicians come speak in the class–feeling like doctors are not so scary.” - Anonymous, L.Ac.
-5% for 1st-year licensees
-10% for pre-licensed students