Integrative approach to evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of musculoskeletal pain and injuries of the lumbo-sacral spine pain, abdominal and gluteal musculature and pelvic girdle with AOM modalities.
Day 1: Anatomy, History and Physical Exam
- Clinical anatomy, kinematic chains, and relationships to AOM jing-luo, jing-jin and zang-fu, and emotional disharmonies.
- The degenerative cascade in the spine: eastern and western.
- Urgent/serious medical conditions: stenosis, tumor , infection, fracture, organ-referred, radiculopathies.
- Contributing factors and motion dysfunctions.
- AOM jing-luo and jing-jin patterns.
History-taking for the lumbo-sacral spine, core musculature and pelvic girdle: key diagnostic questions.
Physical exam of the lumbo-sacral spine, core musculature and pelvic girdle.
- Surface anatomy, inspection and palpation.
- Active range-of-motion: measurements, diagnostic significance.
- Lower extremity reflex, sensory, and motor exams.
- Upper motor neuron exam.
- Manual muscle testing of the gluteals.
- Special orthopedic and neurologic tests.
- Correlating history and physical exam with imaging studies.
- Documenting normal and abnormal findings.
Diagnosis, pattern identification and treatment planning for lumbo-sacral spine, core musculature and pelvic girdle.
- Lumbo-sacral sprains/strains, motion dysfunctions, and myofascial pain: trigger point needling, cupping, manual, and gua sha therapies
- Lumbo-sacral derangement, degeneration, radicular, and stenotic patterns: distant, 7-star and electro-acupuncture treatment; postural correction exercises.
Day 2: Diagnosis, Pattern Identification, and Treatment
Postural, myofascial, and multi-factorial lumbo-sacral, core musculature and pelvic girdle pain.
- Distal and local electro-acupuncture
- Trigger point needling: quadratus lumborum, iliopsoas, gluteals, hip external rotators, and abdominal muscles
- Suction cupping + thoraco-lumbar AROM therapy
- Gua sha therapies
Flexion dysfunctions: discogenic patterns.
- Electro-acupuncture therapy
- Exercise therapy
- Ergonomics for discogenic pain
- Evaluation and treatment of knee pain/quad weakness as a contributor
Extension dysfunctions: facetogenic and sacro-iliac patterns, neuroforaminal and central stenosis.
- Electro-acupuncture therapy.
- Tui na therapies.
Laxity of the iliolumbar, posterior sacro-iliac, and sacro-tuberous ligaments and pubic symphysis; spondylolysis and spondylolisthesis.
- Prolo-acupuncture and electro-acupuncture therapy
Failed low back surgery syndrome
Home exercise programs for lumbo-sacral stabilization.
Build on your skills with the Review/Practicum Lab